Genetic based health care is routinely becoming a part of daily health care, having major impacts on patient diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. The Certificate in Health Care Genetics is designed for health care workers who are seeking focused, graduate-level education in the specialty of genetics. Knowledge gained through coursework will enable healthcare workers to better care for and educate their patients.
- Healthcare worker with a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- GPA ≥ 3.0 in the Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- Pre-admission interview
- Complete online application
- International applicants
- Fall, Spring, Summer Term Admission
The curriculum includes courses in genetics (taught through the School of Nursing) and choice of 3 courses related to the student’s career goals or interests (taught through other departments in the Schools of the Health Sciences). Learning experiences may be enriched through Clinical Genetics Case Conferences, Human Genetics Research Seminar, Human Genetics Journal Club, Genetics Grand Rounds, and a Research Practicum in a molecular genetics laboratory.
- Full-time or Part-time (~ 3 terms)
- Electives (per approval of Coordinator) 9 cr.
- NUR 2680 Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr
- NUR 2681 Advanced Topics in Human Genetics 3 cr.
- Total Credits: 15 cr.
Graduates of the Certificate in Health Care Genetics are prepared to:
- Guide patients in their understanding of the genetic basis of disease as well as providing patient education and guidance in the areas of available genetic testing, interpretation of testing, recurrence risks, and genetic based therapies
- Provide advocacy for patients and families with genetic conditions
- Utilize family histories to determine disorders for which the patient is at risk
- Utilize a variety of resources to stay up to date with advances in genetic based medicine
- Determine when patient referral to a genetic professional is required
- Utilize a variety of resources to provide patients and their families with support mechanisms
- Interpret genetic research findings
View Program Brochure (PDF)