This on‐line, practice‐focused 36 credit doctoral program will prepare nursing leaders for the highest level of clinical nursing practice beyond the initial preparation in the discipline. Applicants will be CRNAs with a master's degree. Throughout the program students will develop clinical, organizational, economic, and leadership skills. Specialty focused and core courses of the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing Nurse Anesthesia Program MSN to DNP curriculum will focus on evidence‐based practice, organizational and systems leadership, informatics, health care policy and finance, patient safety population health, and interprofessional collaboration for improving patient and population health outcomes, and genetics and molecular therapeutics.
Directed cognates may be used to expand upon the students’ knowledge base within the DNP project focus area. The program will culminate in a DNP project that reflects the synthesis and application of knowledge gained throughout the curriculum. Project areas will include quality improvement projects, policy analysis, clinical demonstration projects, clinical program development and projects focused on improved patient care and safety.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below. Depending on courses completed during the previous MSN program, additional coursework may be required.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011 Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 3099 The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2680 Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURSP 2388 Database Management 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NURSAN 3782 Directed Seminars in Nurse Anesthesia Practice 2 cr.
- NURSP 2075 Introduction to Healthcare Informatics 3 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NURSP 2061 Organization & Management Theory 3 cr.
- NURSAN 3784 Curriculum, Instruction and Evaluation in Nurse Anesthesia Education 3 cr.
- NURSAN 3783 Regulation and Reimbursement in Nurse Anesthesia 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NURSAN 3751 Team Training in Patient Safety 1 cr.
- NUR 3013 Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NURSP 2091 Finance and Economics for Healthcare Leaders 3 cr.
- NUR 3031 DNP Methodologies 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3032 Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
Spring Term (Year 3)
Successful completion of the DNP Comprehensive Exam is required.