The nurse anesthesia program doctoral curriculum is offered in a full time format over 36 months (9 terms) and classes begin each January. The curriculum consists of 86 credits (class and clinical). After the first two terms, the curriculum design integrates classroom and clinical experiences. The curriculum consists of 39 core credits and 47 anesthesia specialty credits.
Clinical practice begins as two days/week in the third term and increases in both intensity and frequency throughout the course of study. Course work in the final year includes a DNP project and preparation of the comprehensive examination and Certification Examination. All anesthesia classes are during daylight hours and students are not scheduled for clinical experiences on anesthesia class days. Core courses may be scheduled during evening hours and students' clinical schedules are adjusted accordingly.
Candidates who have been accepted for admission will be assigned a faculty advisor and should discuss enrolling in a selected DNP core courses prior to entering the full-time curriculum. This allows the student to lessen the academic requirements of the full time program.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NURSAN 3785 Introduction to the Nurse Anesthetist Role 1.5 cr.
- NUR 2011 Applied Statistics for Evidence Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 3099 The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NUR 2004 Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NUR 2680 Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2034 Advanced Pharmacology Across the Lifespan 3 cr.
- NUR 2000 Research for Evidence Based Practice 1 2 cr.
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NUR 3013 Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NUR 3031 DNP Methodologies 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NURSAN 3786 Basic Principles of Anesthesia 3 cr.
- NURSAN 3787 Basic Principles of Anesthesia (lab) 1 cr.
- NURSAN 3788 Chemistry and Physics in Anesthesia 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3789 Physical Diagnosis Anesthesia 1 cr.
- NURSP 2388 Database Management 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3790 Basic Clinical Care 1: - Introduction to Anesthesia Technology, Monitoring and Practice (2 days per week) 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2010 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NUR 3032 Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3791 Advanced Principles of Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology 1 3 cr.
- NURSAN 3751 Team Training in Patient Safety 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3792 Basic Clinical Care 2: Basic Pre-operative, Intraoperative and Post-operative Care (3 days per week) 1.5 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NURSAN 3793 Advanced Principles of Anesthesia 1 3 cr.
- NURSAN 3795 Advanced Principles of Anatomy, Physiology and Pathophysiology 2 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3796 Advanced Pharmacology for Nurse Anesthetists 3 cr.
- NURSAN 3797 Advanced Clinical Care 1: Pain Management, Ultrasound, Regional Anesthesia, Pediatrics and Obstetrics 1.5 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NURSAN 3798 Advanced Principles of Anesthesia 2 3 cr.
- NURSP 2061 Organizational Theory & Management 3 cr.
- NUR 3012 Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3800 Nurse Anesthetist Role Seminar 1.5 cr.
- NURSAN 3801 Advanced Clinical Care-2: Cardiothoracic, Cardiovascular and Vascular (3 days per week) 1.5 cr.
Spring Term (Year 3)
- NURSAN 3802 Advanced Principles of Anesthesia 3 3 cr,
- NURSP 2091 Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
- NUR 3036 Capstone Project 2 cr.
- NURSAN 3803 Advanced Clinical Care-3: Neurosurgical, Trauma and Emergency (3 days per week) 1.5 cr.
Summer Term (Year 3)
- NURSP 2075 Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NUR 3052 Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NURSAN 3804 Advanced Clinical Care-4: Synthesis of Perioperative Care (4 days per week) 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NURSAN 3805 Comprehensive Anesthesia Review Seminar 2 cr.
- Comprehensive Examination
- NURSAN 3806 Transition to Clinical Practice (4 days per week) 2 cr.
Total credits: 86