The psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) is a leadership role as a principal provider of primary health care who treat individuals with psychiatric disorders across the lifespan in a variety of settings. PMHNP students prepared at the DNP level will be clinical experts with the organizational, economic, and leadership skills necessary to critique the literature, promote evidence-based practice, and design programs of care delivery that are functional, economically feasible, and which significantly impact health care outcomes.
The online option is only available to applicants with a master’s degree in same focus.
* Courses with a "D" can be delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below. Depending on courses completed during the previous MSN program, additional coursework may be required.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Health Care 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NUR 3031/3031D* Methodologies for Doctorate of Nursing Practice Projects 2 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
- Cognate 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D* or NUR 3052/3052D* Grant Writing or (Manuscript Development offered in Spring or Fall Term) 1 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.
- Cognate 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D* Data Analysis for DNP Project 2 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 1-10 cr.