The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP) is prepared as a generalist, principal provider of primary health care for adolescents through the adult lifespan. In this clinician leadership role, the AGPCNP assumes responsibility for promoting, maintaining, and restoring health, including the identification of health risks, the promotion of wellness, and the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic illness. AGPCNPs also participate in research and provide leadership in mobilizing community resources. They are prepared to work in collaboration with other health care professionals in a variety of primary care and subspecialty settings.
The AGPCNP area of concentration offers post BSN to DNP and post-masters to DNP preparation. Students may study full-time or part-time. The BSN to DNP is offered only on–site on the main campus in Pittsburgh. Selected core courses may be transmitted to eligible students who live a distance from campus* (additional fees may apply). The MSN to DNP is offered both on-site and online. Graduates of the BSN to DNP are eligible for national certification offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board and legal certification as a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) and prescriptive authority through the State Board of Nursing of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
*Courses with a "D" can be delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below.
Fall Term (Full-time)(Year 1) (Part-time curriculum also available)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2004/2004D* Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NUR 2010/2010D* Health Promotion & Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NURNP 2026/2026D* Role Seminar 1 1 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice I 2 cr.
- NUR 2034/2034D* Advanced Pharmacology Across the Lifespan 3 cr.
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURNP 2518/2518D* Family Theory for NPs: Principles, Implications & Application Across the Life Span 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
- NUR 3013/3031D Methodologies for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2033/2033D* Differential Diagnosis Theory Across the Life Span 2 cr.
- NUR 2032/2032D* Differential Diagnosis Clinical 2 cr.
- NURNP 2523/2523D* Management: Women's Health 1 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D Database Management 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2505/2505D* Management Adult Acute/Chronic Clinical 5 cr.
- NURNP 2515/2515D* Management: Adult Acute/Chronic Theory 4 cr.
- NURNP 2546/2546D* Management: Adolescent Health and Young Adult Theory 2 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2078/2078D* Clinical Diagnostics 3 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management: Geriatric Health 2 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP Role Practicum 3 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NURNP 2527/2527D* Advanced Management of Complex Geriatric Health Issues 3 cr.
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NURNP 2529 Gerontology Clinical Practicum 3 cr.
- NUR 3052/3052D Manuscript Development 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 3)
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 4 cr.
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance & Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
- NURNP 2528 Seminar in Geriatric Care 1 cr.
Summer Term (Year 3)
- NURNP 2029/2029D* Role Seminar 2 2 cr.
- NURNP 3025/3025D* Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Conditions in Primary Care 4 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D Grant Writing 1 cr.
BSN to DNP AGPCNP Curriculum
Total Didactic Credits: 76
Total Clinical Credits: 17
Total Credits: 93