Early submission of an application is recommended. Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN applications are reviewed as per the following deadlines below. Applicants should apply online, directly to the School of Nursing:
Note: Complete applications will be reviewed without Official GRE scores. If admitted, the school will provide a voucher or reimburse (if taken prior to admission) the fees for the GRE after your deposit is received. The GRE must be completed prior to start of the program.
Electronic transcripts are preferred and will help expedite your application decision. Paper transcripts are accepted for schools that do not allow students to request that an electronic transcript be sent to the University.
Who can apply?
- Individuals with a baccalaureate or graduate degree in another discipline
- Senior baccalaureate students
Applicants are encouraged to apply online after successful completion of 24 prerequisite credits.
Official transcripts are reviewed after receipt of the online application.
Applications will be reviewed and admission may be offered pending successful completion of the remaining prerequisite credits.
Applicants’ files remain active for one year.
Admission to the Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN is highly competitive and is based upon proven academic achievement and grades earned in prerequisite courses.
A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in the previous undergraduate or graduate degree is required.
The Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN requires an applicant to complete 36 prerequisite credits. These courses may be taken at any college or university. Courses from other institutions will be evaluated for equivalency to University of Pittsburgh courses only courses that are judged to be equivalent will be accepted as prerequisites. (Coursework taken at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing prior to admission may be taken as a non-degree seeking student.)
|General & Bio-Organic Chemistry* (includes a lab) — 4 cr.||English Composition — 3 cr.|
|Directed Elective — 3 cr.||Psychology — 3 cr.|
|Sociology — 3 cr.||Statistics (descriptive, probability & inferential) — 3 cr.|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology* (includes a lab) — 6-8 cr.||Human Genetics * — 3 cr.|
|Microbiology* (includes a lab) — 4 cr.||Pathophysiology * — 4 cr.|
* Should have completed within past 10 years with a grade of “B-” or higher
Credits listed are term credits (quarter courses will be individually evaluated)
Tracey Lang, BSN, RN
Student Advisor (Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN)
Application items include:
- Completed application
- Official transcripts of all course work taken at any university or college
- Applications will be reviewed without Official GRE scores effective from Fall 2017 applications. If admitted, the school will provide a voucher to take the GRE exam after your deposit is received. The GRE must be completed prior to start of the program.
- Two (2) letters of professional recommendation (via on-line application or mailed in signed, sealed envelopes to University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing / 240 Victoria Building / 3500 Victoria Street / Pittsburgh, PA 15261)
- Resume (uploaded into the online application)
- Personal essay explaining how the Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN will help achieve professional goals
- Application fee $50.00 (non-refundable and does not apply to payment of tuition) which is paid online using credit or debit card.
- INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS (in addition to above items):
- Official graduation certificate verifying degree obtained (English translation)
- Subject-specific international academic credential evaluation of official college transcript
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score - exempt if native language is English or graduate of a degree program at an accredited institution in the United States
Academic Institutions may send official transcripts via:
- e-mail to: LapsLeyL@pitt.edu
- postal mail to: University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing / 240 Victoria Building / 3500 Victoria Street / Pittsburgh, PA 15261
The Board of Nursing in various states may prohibit prospective students convicted of any felonious act from licensure as a Registered Nurse. Applicants who plan to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (as well as most other states) should be advised that upon application for the Registered Nurse Licensure Examination, the Board of Nursing will inquire as to whether the applicant has been convicted of a misdemeanor, felony, felonious act, or crime of moral turpitude, an illegal act associated with alcohol, or an illegal act associated with substance abuse(s).