The Adult-Gerontology (CNS) concentration prepares nurses as expert providers of care to patients/families across the continuum of healthcare services (from wellness through acute care). The CNS functions as a developer and manager of programs of care for populations of patients; as a leader, consultant, mentor, and change agent in advancing nurse practice; as a clinical outcomes manager who produces quality, cost-effective outcomes; as a leader of multidisciplinary groups in implementing innovative projects; and as a developer of research projects that test innovative practices.
This concentration allows the CNS student to focus on a clinical emphasis of choice such as: cardiopulmonary, critical care, oncology, or trauma and emergency preparedness (TEP). Full and part-time study is available. A minimum of 1000 clinical hours is included. Graduates are eligible for national certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
Courses with a “D", are delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2010/2010D* Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2004/2004D* Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 1 2 cr.
- NURSP 2098 Healthcare Quality 2 cr.
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2034/2034D* Advanced Pharmacology 3 cr.
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NUR 3031/3031D* Methodologies for DNP Projects 2 cr.
- NURCNS 2850 CNS Role Implementation 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2033/2033D* Differential Diagnosis Theory Across the Life Span 2 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NURCNS 2851 CNS Clinical Practicum 1 5 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2100/2100D* Management of Adult Episodic/Chronic Health Problems in Acute Care Theory 4 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Healthcare Leaders 3 cr.
- NURCNS 2852 CNS Clinical Practicum 2 4 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3050/3050D* Grant Writing 1 cr.
- NURNP 2104/2104D* Management of Complex Health Problems of the Acutely and Critically Ill Adult 3 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management Geriatric Health 2 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NURSP 3096 Data Analytics and Clinical Systems Design 3 cr.
- NURCNS 2853 Clinical Emphasis Specialty 3 cr.
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NURCNS 3039 DNP CNS Role Practicum 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 3)
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NUR 3052/3052D* Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NURCNS 3039 DNP CNS Role Practicum 5 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D* Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Total Credits: 81