This information is for currently enrolled University of Pittsburgh undergraduate students who intend to transfer to the School of Nursing. The curriculum for the undergraduate program in the School of Nursing leads to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree and eligibility to take the NCLEX (National Council Licensure Examination) for professional licensure as a registered nurse. The full-time curriculum includes 124-126 credits. It will usually take 8 additional terms to complete the nursing program, unless placement to the sophomore year is granted (see below).
Students may begin to fulfill liberal arts and elective requirements while enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences, College of General Studies, or a regional campus. Liberal Arts Requirements: Anthropology/ Culture, Art/ Music/ Creative Expression/ Literature, English Composition, Psychology, Sociology, Speech, Statistics.
Applications for transfer consideration are accepted for admission in Fall and Spring Terms. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made based on the student’s college and high school performance and consideration of the number of seats available in the class. The evaluation will consider grade trends, cumulative GPA, number of credits completed, level of challenge of curriculum, transferability of credits and coursework relevant to the major
Competitive applicants will have::
- Completion of 24 college-level credits (should include science courses with B or higher grade)
- 3.5 minimum cumulative GPA
- Minimum SAT score of 1280 (Old SAT: 1200) or minimum ACT composite score of 27
- Complete and submit the following forms to current academic advisor
Undergraduate Academic Program Change Form (available at respective academic center)
School of Nursing Internal Transfer Application Form
- The respective Student Records Office will forward the forms and academic file to the School of Nursing.
- The School of Nursing will notify applicant of its admission decision via student’s Pitt e-mail
- Spring Term Admission to Freshman Class
Deadline November 1
Fall Term grades must be evaluated for final determination
- Fall Term Admission to Freshman Class*
Deadline April 1
Spring Term grades must be evaluated for final determination
*After admission to freshman class, eligibility for placement in sophomore class will be determined by review of academic records and availability of sophomore class seats
Admission to the School of Nursing for all transfer students is to the freshman class. However, a limited number of seats are available at the sophomore level. Admission decisions for these seats are made separately, after admission to freshman class.
Eligibility for placement in sophomore class is determined by availability of seats in the sophomore class and review of the student’s academic records by Student Affairs & Alumni Relations.
Students interested in sophomore placement must have completed the following courses:
|NUR 0012/ NUR 0002 - Anatomy & Physiology 1 Lecture/ Lab||3 cr./ 1 cr|
|NUR 0013/ NUR 00003 - Anatomy & Physiology 2 Lecture/ Lab||3 cr./ 1 cr.|
|CHEM 0910 - Chem. Principles for Health Professions||4 cr|
|NUR 0031/ NUR 0032 - Microbiology Lecture/ Lab||3 cr./ 1 cr.|
Registration for nursing courses (by current Pitt Students)
- CHEM 0910: Students must obtain a permission number from Chemistry Dept., 107 Chevron Bldg.
- NUR 0031/ NUR 0032: Students must sign wait list / available 7 a.m. on first day of open enrollment in 440 Victoria Bldg.
- NUR 0012/ NUR 0002: Students may self-enroll / permission number not needed
- NUR 0013/ NUR 0003: Students may self-enroll / permission number not needed
The following criteria govern the transfer of advanced credits:
- Liberal arts courses require a C or better grade
- Science courses: (B or higher grade required) completed within past 8 years (unless extenuating circumstances)
- When requested, course descriptions or syllabi must be submitted to determine equivalency to University of Pittsburgh courses.
- Credit transferred for a course may be no greater than the credit given by University of Pittsburgh
Internal Transfer Information Session
- Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. (Fall & Spring Terms)
137 Victoria Building (Student Affairs & Alumni Relations Office)
No RSVP required
Recruitment Coordinator, School of Nursing (412-624-4587)
View Brochure (PDF)