The Post-Professional Certificate in Nursing Informatics is a combination of cognitive science, computer science, information science, and nursing science. It includes the development, analysis, and evaluation of information systems that support, enhance and manage patient care. Informatics nurses are involved in practice, education, research, administration, and consultation and can work in public, private, or corporate settings. Career opportunities for graduates of this specialty are numerous.
The curriculum includes course work in introduction to informatics, clinical information systems, and project management. Practicums are designed to enhance the students' knowledge and skill set through active participation in a selected informatics role.
Graduates of the Post-Professional Certificate in Nursing Informatics may be eligible for the Nursing Informatics Certification Exam, offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and the Certified Associate in Health Information & Management Systems (CAHIMS) or Certified Professional in Healthcare Information & Management systems (CPHIMS), offered by Healthcare Information and Management Systems (HIMMS). (Note: Visit the ANCC and HIMSS websites for eligibility requirements.)
- Part-time (~ 4 terms)
- 240 practicum hours (minimum)
- 15 course credits
- Online only
Graduates of the Post-Professional Certificate in Nursing Informatics are prepared to:
- Analyze clinical information systems for adoption by healthcare systems
- Manage projects in a multidisciplinary integrated healthcare informatics environment
- Consult with companies in the design of healthcare information systems
- Plan and develop informatics applications for telehealth, consumer health, and community-based care.
- Valid registered nurse license in state where clinical experiences are performed
- 3.0 or higher in MSN, DNP or higher nursing degree (from accredited program (ACEN, NLN, ACICS, or CCNE)
- Satisfactory resume
- Pre-admission interview
- Complete online application
- International applicants: see Pitt's Office of International Services
- Fall Term Admission
Admission of International Applicants
Applications from international students are reviewed according to the admission criteria stated above, and admissions deadlines for all programs are available online. The on-line application must be completed in English. See the School of Nursing International Applicants page for specific admission requirements for international applicants.
Curriculum: Post-Professional in Nursing Informatics (subject to change)
- NURSP 2075 Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NURSP 2076 Clinical Information Systems 3 cr.
- NURSP 2070 Information Technology Project Management 3 cr.
- NURSP 2085 Nursing Informatics Practicum 1 3 cr.
- NURSP 2086 Nursing Informatics Practicum 2 3 cr.
- Total Credits=15 cr.
View Program Brochure (PDF)