The Family (Individual Across the Lifespan) Nurse Practitioner (FNP) is prepared as a generalist, principal provider of primary health care across the lifespan. In this clinician leadership role, the FNP assumes responsibility for promoting, maintaining, and restoring health to individuals across the life span. This includes the identification of health risks, the promotion of wellness, and the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic illness. FNPs provide leadership in quality improvement and in mobilizing community resources. They work in collaboration with other health care professionals in a variety of primary care and subspecialty settings.
The FNP area of concentration offers post BSN to DNP and post masters to DNP preparation. Students may study full-time or part-time. The BSN to DNP is offered only on–site on the main campus in Pittsburgh . Selected core courses may be transmitted to students who live a distance from campus (additional fees may apply). The MSN to DNP is offered both on-site and on-line. BSN to DNP graduates are eligible for national certification offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners and legal certification as a CRNP and prescriptive authority through the State Board of Nursing of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
*Courses with a "D" are delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2004/2004D* Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NUR 2010/2010D* Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NURNP 2026/2026D* Role Seminar 1 1 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 1 2 cr.
- NUR 2034/2034D* Advanced Pharmacology 3 cr.
- NURNP 2540/2540D* Pediatric Well Child Care Theory 3 cr.
- NURNP 2518/2518D* Family Theory for Nurse Practitioners: Principles, Implications, and Application Across the Life Span 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 3031/3031D Methodologies for DNP Project 2 cr.
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2033/2033D* Differential Diagnosis Theory Across the Life Span 2 cr.
- NUR 2032/2032D* Differential Diagnosis Clinical 2 cr.
- NURNP 2523/2523D* Management: Women’s Health 1 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D Database Management 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3052/3052D* Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURNP 2515/2515D* Management: Adult Acute/Chronic Theory 4 cr.
- NURNP 2546/2546D* Management: Adolescent Health and Young Adult Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2505/2505D* Management: Adult Acute/Chronic Clinical 1 5 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 3025/3025D* Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Conditions in Primary Care 4 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management: Geriatric Health Theory 2 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D* Grant Writing 1 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NURNP 2520/2520D* Management: Pediatric Health Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2521/2521D* Management: Pediatric Health Clinical 4 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 3)
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 5 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 3)
Total Didactic Hours: 1155(77 credits)
Total Clinical Hours: 1080 (18 credits including 7 credits of 3038)
Total Credits: 95
**NUR 3037 - DNP Project Clinical (must take at least 1 credit) NOTE: NUR 3037 not counted as clinical
Family (Individual Across the Lifespan) Nurse Practitioner BSN to DNP Curriculum for 2017-2018