Early submission of an application is recommended. Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN applications are reviewed as per the following deadlines below. Applicants should apply online, directly to the School of Nursing:
Note: Applications will be reviewed without Official GRE scores effective from Fall 2017 applications. If admitted, the school will provide a voucher or reimburse (if taken prior to admission) the fees for the GRE after your deposit is received. The GRE must be completed prior to start of the program.
Who can apply?
- Individuals with a baccalaureate or graduate degree in another discipline
- Senior baccalaureate students
Admission to the Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN is highly competitive and is based upon proven academic achievement and grades earned in prerequisite courses.
A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in the previous undergraduate or graduate degree is required.
The Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN requires an applicant to complete 36 prerequisite credits. These courses may be taken at any college or university. Courses from other institutions will be evaluated for equivalency to University of Pittsburgh courses only courses that are judged to be equivalent will be accepted as prerequisites. (Coursework taken at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing prior to admission may be taken as a non-degree seeking student.)
Required prerequisites include:
|General & Bio-Organic Chemistry* (includes a lab) — 4 cr.||English Composition — 3 cr.|
|Directed Elective — 3 cr.||Psychology — 3 cr.|
|Sociology — 3 cr.||Statistics (descriptive, probability & inferential) — 3 cr.|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology* (includes a lab) — 6-8 cr.||Human Genetics * — 3 cr.|
|Microbiology* (includes a lab) — 4 cr.||Pathophysiology * — 4 cr.|
* Should have been completed within past 10 years with a grade of “B-” or higher
Credits listed are term credits (quarter courses will be individually evaluated)
Tracey Lang, BSN, RN
Student Advisor (Accelerated Second Degree BSN)
Application items include:
- Completed application
- Official transcripts of all course work taken at any university or college
- Applications will be reviewed without Official GRE scores effective from Fall 2017 applications. If admitted, the school will provide a voucher or reimburse (if taken prior to admission) the fees for the GRE after your deposit is received. The GRE must be completed prior to start of the program.
- Two (2) letters of professional recommendation (via on-line application or mailed in signed, sealed envelopes)
- Resume (uploaded into the online application)
- Personal essay explaining how the Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN will help achieve professional goals
- Application fee $50.00 (non-refundable and does not apply to payment of tuition) which is paid online using credit or debit card.
- INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS (in addition to above items):
- Official graduation certificate verifying degree obtained (English translation)
- Subject-specific international academic credential evaluation of official college transcript
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score - exempt if native language is English or graduate of a degree program at an accredited institution in the United States
NOTE: All official documentation must be submitted in sealed envelopes from the originating institutions to:
University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing
239 Victoria Building
3500 Victoria Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Provisional admission may be granted after completion of six prerequisite credits if all other admission requirements are met. Undergraduate applicants who are within 12-18 credits of graduation will be considered for provisional admission. All prerequisite courses must be completed and official transcripts received by the start of the first term.
The Board of Nursing in various states may prohibit prospective students convicted of any felonious act from licensure as a Registered Nurse. Applicants who plan to practice in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (as well as most other states) should be advised that upon application for the Registered Nurse Licensure Examination, the Board of Nursing will inquire as to whether the applicant has been convicted of a misdemeanor, felony, felonious act, or crime of moral turpitude, an illegal act associated with alcohol, or an illegal act associated with substance abuse(s).