The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP) is prepared as a generalist, principal provider of primary health care for adolescents through the adult lifespan. In this clinician leadership role, the AGPCNP assumes responsibility for promoting, maintaining, and restoring health, including the identification of health risks, the promotion of wellness, and the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic illness. AGPCNPs also participate in research and provide leadership in mobilizing community resources. They are prepared to work in collaboration with other health care professionals in a variety of primary care and subspecialty settings.
Applicants to the MSN to DNP Adult-Gerontology AGPCNP area of concentration should be master’s-prepared adult or adult gerontology NP's who are nationally certified and wish to earn the DNP. Students may study full-time or part-time.
*Courses numbers with a "D" can be delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below. Depending on courses completed during the previous MSN program, additional coursework may be required.
Fall Term (Full-time) (Year 1) (Part-time Curriculum available)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 1 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NURNP 2518/2518D* Family Theory for NPs: Principles, Implications, and Applications Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NUR 3052/3052D* Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Healthcare Leaders 3 cr.
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NUR 3031/3013D Methodologies for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 3050/3050D* Grant Writing 1 cr.
- NURNP 3025/3025D* Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Conditions in Primary Care 4 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management: Geriatric Health Theory 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NURNP 3038** DNP NP Role Practicum 1-7 cr.
- NURNP 2527/2527D* Advanced Management: Complex Geriatric Health Issues 3 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.
- NURSP 2075/2075D Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2528 Seminar in Geriatric Care 1 cr.
- NURNP 2529 Gerontology Clinical Practicum 3 cr.
- NURNP 2546/2546D* Management of Adolescent Health and Young Adult Theory 2 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
** Must take at least 1 credit