The Post-Professional Certificate in Nursing Education combines didactic courses and two field-based preceptorships in settings and roles of the student’s interest. The curriculum prepares students to apply instructional theory and research in the following types of educational settings and roles: schools of nursing, health care agency staff development, continuing education departments, advanced practice nursing and patient and community education agencies. The Minor in Nursing Education is also available to University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing graduate students. Students should consult with their academic advisor.
Graduates may be eligible for the Certified Nurse Education Exam offered by the National League of Nursing (NLN) (Note: visit the NLN website at www.nln.org for eligibility requirements)
- Part-time (~ 4-5 terms)
- 330 practicum hours
Graduates of the Post-Professional Certificate in Nursing Education are prepared to:
- design current, progressive nursing education programs using research and theories of learning instruction, curriculum, evaluation and measurement.
- utilize a variety of teaching strategies and media appropriate to learner characteristics, instructional objectives, and nursing or health-related content.
- plan the learning activities of individuals and groups of students in clinical and didactic settings.
- guide the performance of learners in settings where nurses function as educators for nurse colleagues, students, patients, families, and communities.
- apply principles of measurement and evaluation to the development of learner assessment procedures for didactic and educational instruction.
- utilize computer technology and educational informatics as integral components of nursing education and training
- articulate the role of the nurse educator within the health professions, schools of nursing, and community.
- perform the role of education consultant in settings where nurses, patients, families, and communities participate in education activities.
- Valid registered nurse license in state where clinical experiences are performed
- GPA ≥ 3.0 in MSN or DNP Degree (from accredited program (ACEN, NLN, ACICS, or CCNE)
- Pre-admission interview
- Complete online application
- International applicants: see www.nursing.pitt.edu and www.ois.pitt.edu
- Fall, Spring, Summer Term admission
Curriculum: Post-Professional Nursing Education Certificate (subject to change)
- Elective (per approval of Coordinator) 3 cr.
- NURSP 2071 Design and Process of Instruction 3 cr.
- NURSP 2072 Measurement and Evaluation 3 cr.
- NURSP 2073 Practicum 1 in Nursing Education: Teaching and Learning Assessment 3 cr.
- NURSP 2074 Practicum 2 in Nursing Education: Educational Program Management 3 cr.
- Total: 15 cr.
View Brochure (PDF)