The Nurse Practitioner functions in an expanded role that includes the diagnoses and management of health care needs of a specific population and this curriculum will prepare the Nurse Practitioner to develop expertise in the care of older adults. The gerontology courses are specifically designed to address the needs of the older adult in regard to the common geriatric syndromes, geriatric economic and social issues and the unique presentation of disease. Content includes an emphasis on chronic conditions, multi-morbidity, and internal medicine.
The diagnosis and management of these conditions will be emphasized in keeping with the role of the Nurse Practitioner. The courses were designed using national standards for nurse practitioner education through a combination of didactic and clinical learning experiences.
The Gerontology Minor is a 9 credit curriculum available to DNP students currently enrolled in the Family (Individual Across the Lifespan) Nurse Practitioner (FNP) DNP or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) DNP programs who want to increase their knowledge and expertise related to the diagnosis and management of health care needs in the care of older adults.
- ~ 3 terms
- 180 practicum hours
Graduates of the Gerontology Minor are prepared to accomplish the following:
- Provide comprehensive, evidence-based geriatric focused care for elderly patients and their caregivers based on physical, mental, emotional and functional changes
- Practice culturally sensitive care in regard to ethnicity, religion, gender and socio-economic status
- Identify available community resources to promote health, safety, function and independence
- Provide leadership to other members of the interdisciplinary team that is focused on the needs and wishes of the patient
- Assume the role of advocate for patients and caregivers in regard to access and transitions within the health care system
Curriculum: Gerontology Minor (subject to change)
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management: Geriatric Health Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2527/2527D* Advanced Management: Complex Geriatric Health Issues 3 cr.
- NURNP 2529 Gerontology Clinical Practicum 3 cr.
- NURNP 2528 Seminar in Geriatric Care 1 cr.
- Total: 9 cr.
*Courses with a "D" can be delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
View Program Brochure (PDF)