How Do I Apply?
Students are admitted to the Clinical Nurse Leader MSN in Fall, Spring, and Summer Terms. Complete applications must be received by June 15 (Fall Term admission), October 1 (Spring Term admission), or March 1 (Summer Term admission). The application deadline for International applicants is February 15 (Fall Term Admission)
Application decisions (except for international applicants) will be communicated electronically by e-mail. An RN Option, Early Admission to MSN is available.
Admission Requirements include:
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from accredited program (ACEN, NLN, ACICS, or CCNE)
- A current license to practice nursing in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or the state or U.S. territory where clinical, practicum or residency requirements will be completed is required prior to enrolling in courses with a clinical, practicum or residency requirement. Foreign applicants should see section on Admission of Students from Other Countries.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher in the undergraduate degree
- Relevant clinical experience: Should have one year of clinical experience prior to beginning clinical courses. A pre-admission interview. If the applicant resides at a great distance, a telephone interview may be conducted
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GRE may be waived if the BSN GPA is 3.5 or higher
- Pre-requisite statistics course with a grade of B- or better.
- The following requirements can be uploaded into the online application.
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant's capacity and potential for master's study from each of the following: the director or a faculty member from the most recent academic program attended (if applicant has been a nursing student in the last 5 years); A recent employer; and a person who can speak to the applicant's professional work.
8. A typed essay of a minimum of 500 words stating:
- Your philosophy of nursing;
- Your reasons for wanting to study in a particular area of concentration;
- What you expect from the master’s program; and,
- Your future career goals.
9. A resume that includes relevant work experiences (include dates of employment by month and year), examples of leadership and commitment to the profession of nursing, and memberships in professional nursing organizations.
Mail official transcripts in signed, sealed envelopes, UNOPENED to:
University of Pittsburgh
School of Nursing
Student Affairs & Alumni Relations
240 Victoria Building
Pittsburgh, PA 15261