Onsite( online* with master’s degree CNS)
Applicants with MSN (CNL, Education, NP) will be evaluated for online eligibility
The Adult-Gerontology (CNS) concentration prepares nurses as expert providers of care to patients/families across the continuum of healthcare services (from wellness through acute care). The CNS functions as a developer and manager of programs of care for populations of patients; as a leader, consultant, mentor, and change agent in advancing nurse practice; as a clinical outcomes manager who produces quality, cost-effective outcomes; as a leader of multidisciplinary groups in implementing innovative projects; and as a developer of research projects that test innovative practices. . Full and part-time study is available. A minimum of 1000 clinical hours is required.
Clinical hours required will depend on the number of hours completed in student’s prior MSN degree. Graduates are eligible for national certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
*Courses with a “D” are delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below. Depending on courses completed during the previous MSN program, additional coursework may be required.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Heath Care Delivery 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr
- NUR 3031/3031D* Methodologies for DNP Projects 2 cr.
- NURCNS 3039 DNP-CNS Role Practicum 1-4 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D* Grant Writing 1 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management of Geriatric Health 2 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.