The psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) concentration prepares principal providers of primary health care who treat individuals with psychiatric disorders across the lifespan in a variety of settings. PMHNP students begin their plan of study in core courses that include content on physical diagnosis, health promotion, pharmacology, pathophysiology, and management of acute, episodic, and chronic health problems. Psychiatric primary care content directly builds on these core concepts to provide students with the advanced practice skills to effectively manage complex psychobiological problems of people across the lifespan. PMHNP students prepared at the DNP level will be clinical experts with the organizational, economic, and leadership skills necessary to critique the literature, promote evidence-based practice, and design programs of care delivery that are functional, economically feasible, and which significantly impact health care outcomes. BSN to DNP graduates are eligible for national certification offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and legal certification as a CRNP and prescriptive authority through the State Board of Nursing of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
*Courses with a "D" can be delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438. .
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2004/2004D* Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NURNP 2026/2026D* Role Seminar 1 1 cr.
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 1 2 cr.
- NUR 2034/2034D* Advanced Pharmacology Across the Lifespan 3 cr.
- NUR 2010/2010D* Health Promotion & Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURNP 2540/2540D* Pediatric Well Child Care Theory 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NUR 3031/3031D Methodologies for Doctorate of Nursing Practice Projects 2 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D*# Grant Writing 1 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2032/2032D* Differential Diagnosis Clinical 2 cr.
- NUR 2033/2033D* Differential Diagnosis Theory Across the Life Span 2 cr.
- NURNP 2520/2520D* Management: Pediatric Health Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2521/2521D* Management: Pediatric Health Clinical 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NURNP 2523/2523D* Management Women's Health 1 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2515/2515D* Management: Adult Acute/Chronic Theory 4 cr.
- NURNP 2505/2505D* Management Adult Acute and Chronic 1 Clinical 3 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
- NURNP 2320 Neurobiology of Psychiatric Disorders 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2330/2330D Psychiatric Diagnosis Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2331 Psychiatric Diagnosis Practicum 2 cr.
- NURCNS 2354/2354D* Individual Psychotherapy Theory 2 cr.**
- NURCNS 2355 Individual Psychotherapy Practicum 1 cr. **
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NURNP 2325 Psychopharmacology 2 cr.
- NURNP 2340 Management of Acute Health Problems of Psychiatric Patients 2 cr.
- NURNP 2341 Management Practicum of Acute Health Problems of Psychiatric Patients 2 cr.
- NURCNS 2350 Group Therapy Theory 2 cr. **
- NURCNS 2351 Group Therapy Practicum 1 cr. **
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 3)
- NURNP 2345 Management of Chronic Health Problems of Psychiatric Patients 2 cr.
- NURNP 2346 Management Practicum Chronic Health Problems of Psychiatric Patients 2 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 1 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D* Data Analysis for DNP Project 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 3)
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 1 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management Geriatric Health Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2029/2029D* Role Seminar 2 cr.
Comprehensive Exam (DNP and Clinical Specialty Comprehensive Exams are required)
** Therapy courses (choose 2 of 3)
**NURCNS 2350 Group Therapy Theory/*NURCNS 2351 Group Therapy Practicum (fall term)
**NURCNS 2352 Family Theory/Therapy Techniques /**NURCNS 2353 Family Therapy Role Seminar & Practicum (spring term)
**NURCNS 2354 Individual Psychotherapy Theory/**NURCNS 2355 Individual Psychotherapy Practicum (summer term)
BSN to DNP PMHNP Curriculum
Total Didactic: 77 credits
Total Clinical Credits: 18 (1120)
Total Credits: 95
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner BSN to DNP Curriculum for 2018-2019