The Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (PNP-PC) is prepared as a generalist principal provider of primary health care to children, birth through emerging adulthood. In this leadership clinician role the Primary Care PNP assumes responsibility for promoting, maintaining and restoring health in youth with emphasis on developmental and health assessment and the diagnosis and management of well, acutely ill, and chronically ill children, adolescents and emerging adults in primary care and subspecialty settings. Clinical practice hours provide opportunity to deliver comprehensive care to pediatric patients in various supervised primary care and subspecialty settings. PNP-PC’s lead quality improvement projects and provide leadership in educating families and communities about child health and in mobilizing community resources for the health and safety of children.
The PNP-PC area of concentration offers post BSN to DNP and post masters to DNP preparation. Students may study full-time or part-time. The BSN to DNP is offered on–site on the main campus in Pittsburgh. The MSN to DNP is offered both on-site and on-line. BSN to DNP graduates are eligible for national certification offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PCNB) and legal certification as a CRNP and prescriptive authority through the State Board of Nursing of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
*Courses with a "D" can be delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2004/2004D* Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NUR 2010/2010D* Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NURNP 2026/2026D* Role Seminar 1 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 1 2 cr.
- NUR 2034/2034D* Advanced Pharmacology Across the Lifespan 3 cr.
- NURNP 2540/2540D* Pediatric Well Child Care Theory 3 cr.
- NURNP 2518/2518D* Family Theory for Nurse Practitioners: Principles, Implications, and Application Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 3031/3031D* Methodologies for DNP Projects 2 cr.
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D* Grant Writing 1 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2033/2033D* Differential Diagnosis Theory Across the Life Span 2 cr.
- NUR 2032/2032D* Differential Diagnosis Clinical 2 cr.
- NURNP 2521/2521D* Management: Pediatric Health Clinical 2 cr.
- NURNP 2520/2520D* Management: Pediatric Health Theory 2 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURNP 2546/2546D* Management: Adolescent Health and Young Adult Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2549 Management: Advanced Pediatric Health Problems Theory 2 cr.
- NURNP 2550 Management: Advanced Pediatric Health Problems Clinical 3 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D* Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 3025/3025D* Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Conditions in Primary Care 4 cr.
- NURNP 3546 Management Adolescent and Young Adult Health Clinical 1 cr.
- NUR 2078/2078D* Clinical Diagnostics 3 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 1 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NURSP 2075/2075D* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Healthcare 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NUR 3052/3052D* Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 2 cr.
Spring Term (Year 3)
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NURNP 3038 DNP NP Role Practicum 5 cr.
- NURNP 2029/2029D* Role Seminar 2 2 cr.
BSN to DNP PNP-PC Curriculum
Total Didactic Credits: 71
Total Clinical Credits: 17 (1020 hours)
Total Credits: 87
Pediatric Primary Care Nurse BSN to DNP Curriculum for 2017-2018