Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP) is prepared as a generalist, principal provider of care to adults and older adults with acute, critical and complex chronic health conditions. The AG-ACNP concentration includes sub-specialties in selected clinical emphases: cardiopulmonary, critical care, oncology, trauma & emergency preparedness, or directed study. The directed study clinical emphasis allows the student to design a clinical around a particular area of interest (i.e., internal medicine, general surgery). The AG-ACNP is prepared to assume responsibility for promoting, maintaining and restoring health to adults and older adults who are acutely, critically and complex chronically ill. AG-ACNP also participate in research and provide leadership in mobilizing health services. The AG-ACNP graduate is eligible for state certification as a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) by the State Board of Nurse Examiners of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This requires successful completion of the national certification exam in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN).
*Courses with a "D" are delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
A sample program plan for full time study is provided below.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2011D* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2010/2010D* Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Culturally Diverse Populations 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3099D* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3013D* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
- NUR 3012/3012D* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NURNP 2026/2026D* Role Seminar 1 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2680/2680D* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NUR 2000/2000D* Research for Evidence-Based Practice I 2 cr.
- NUR 2004/2004D* Pathophysiology Across the Life Span 4 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2091D* Finance and Economics for Healthcare Leaders 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2034/2034D* Advanced Pharmacology Across the Lifespan 3 cr.
- NUR 2031 The Diagnostic Physical Exam Across the Life Span 3 cr.
- NUR 3031/3031D* Methodologies for DNP Projects 2 cr.
- NURSP 2388/2388D* Database Management 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 2032/2032D* Differential Diagnosis Clinical 2 cr.
- NUR 2033/2033D* Differential Diagnosis Theory Across the Life Span 2 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2061D* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NURSP 2075/2075D Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3052/3052D Manuscript Development # 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2100/2100D* Management of Adult Episodic/Chronic Health Problems in Acute Care Theory 4 cr.
- NURNP 2101 Management of Adult Episodic/Chronic Health Problems in Acute Care Clinical 3 cr.
- NUR 3032/3032D* Data Analysis for DNP Projects 2 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
- NURNP 2104/2104D* Management of Complex Health Problems of the Acutely and Critically III Adult 3 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2526D* Management of Geriatric Health 2 cr.
- NURSP 2092/2092D* Leadership Development 3 cr.
- NUR 3050/3050D* Grant Writing # 1 cr.
Fall Term (Year 3)
- NUR 2865/2865D* Fundamental of Disaster/Mass Casualty Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3037 DNP Project Clinical 1 cr.
- NURNP 2102/2102D* Management of Complex Health Problems of the Acutely and Critically III Adult 2 3 cr.
- #One of the One of the following clinical courses for 3 cr.
- NURNP 2105 Clinical Emphasis-Cardiopulmonary#
- NURNP 2106 Clinical Emphasis-Critical Care#
- NURNP 2107 Clinical Emphasis-Oncology#
- NURSP 2109 Clinical Emphasis-Directed Study#
- NURNP 2194 Clinical Emphasis-Trauma Emergency Preparedness#
Spring Term (Year 3)
Comprehensive Exam (DNP and Clinical Specialty Comprehensive Exams are required)
BSN to DNP AG-ACNP Curriculum
Total Didactic Credits: 64
Total Clinical Credits: 17 (1020)
Total Credits: 81