The goal of Fast Track Back is to provide licensed professional nurses, who are not actively practicing, with evidence-based experiences that will enhance competence and confidence in knowledge, skill, and practice to support their transition back into the workforce.
Note that this is not a reinstatement program.
Want to Learn More?
2020 Application process open from January 21, 2020 to March 2, 2020
Notification of acceptance: Week of March 16, 2020
Six (6) - 6.5 hour sessions focused on the role of the RN practicing in health care today. Emphasis on communication skills, systems review, physical assessment, pharmacology updates, and clinical judgment. Engagement strategies include: lectures, group discussion, independent study, clinical practice films, experiences in the clinical skills lab and human simulation center, analyzing case studies and opportunities for problem-based learning. Content focus is on adults.
- Section I session dates will be held: Wednesday: April 1, 8, 15, 24, 29 May 6, 2019; from 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Oakland Campus
- Section I maximum continuing nursing education contact hours awarded will be 33, to participants attending all sessions and completing the evaluation forms.
- Section I Cost: $1,250 - includes all course materials.
Six (6) - 7.5 hour clinical experiences (7:00 a.m. - 3:30 pm) supervised by a School of Nursing faculty member, caring for adult medical/surgical patients in an acute care hospital setting. Section II participants must comply with all certifications, physicals, immunizations, and background/criminal clearances required by the clinical facility
- Section II clinical days will be scheduled during the weeks of May 11 and 18, 2019. Clinical experiences will be in various hospitals depending on faculty and venue availability.
- Section II maximum continuing nursing education contact hours awarded will be 45, to participants attending all clinical experiences and completing the evaluation.
- Section II Cost: $1, 750 - includes liability insurance
Note that you must attend all clinical days to complete the program.
For all sections:
- Complete the application and self-assessment
- Current Pennsylvania nurse’s license
- Have had previous acute care experience preferably in adult medical / surgical.
- Not have been out of clinical practice for more than 15 years
- Availability to attend all sessions
Prior to starting section II
- Have current Basic Life Support / CPR certification.
- Secure all necessary medical updates, immunizations, criminal clearances, and identification requirements for the clinical facility.