*the online option is only available to applicants with a master’s degree in same focus
The Adult-Gerontology (CNS) concentration prepares nurses as expert providers of care to patients/families across the continuum of healthcare services (from wellness through acute care). The CNS functions as a developer and manager of programs of care for populations of patients; as a leader, consultant, mentor, and change agent in advancing nurse practice; as a clinical outcomes manager who produces quality, cost-effective outcomes; as a leader of multidisciplinary groups in implementing innovative projects; and as a developer of research projects that test innovative practices.
This concentration includes choice of a clinical emphasis in cardiopulmonary, critical care, oncology, trauma and emergency preparedness (TEP) or a directed (self-designed) emphasis. The directed emphasis allows the student to design a clinical emphasis in a particular area of interest, e.g., internal medicine, surgery, orthopedics. Full and part-time study is available. A minimum of 1000 clinical hours is required.
Clinical hours required will depend on the number of hours completed in student’s prior MSN degree. Graduates are eligible for national certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, or the Oncology Nursing Society (if oncology emphasis is selected).
* Courses numbered as “24, 34__” are delivered synchronously via distance technology. Such courses are open only to qualified on-site students as per Policy 438.
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044 Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2411* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NURSP 2061/2461* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- Cognate 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2680/2480* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2491* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr
- Cognate 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
- NURSP 2075/2475* Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NUR 3050/3450* Grant Writing 1 cr.
- NUR 2007/2407* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 2 2 cr.
- NURNP 2526/2426* Management of Geriatric Health 2 cr.
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3099/3499* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- NUR 3036 Capstone Project 2 cr.
- NUR 3012/3412* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3413* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3052/3452* Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NUR 3037 Capstone Clinical 1 cr.
- NURCNS 3039 DNP CNS Role Practicum 1-5 cr.