The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) School Nurse Certificate is offered jointly through the School of Education and School of Nursing. Courses are designed to prepare registered nurses to meet the health needs of children of all ages in diverse school settings. Students or graduates of the BSN, MSN, DNP, or PhD programs may enroll in the courses. Upon completion of the School Nurse Certificate curriculum, students may be eligible to apply for the School Nurse Certificate (Education Specialist I) issued by the PDE. To apply for the School Nurse certificate, a valid RN Licensure is required by PDE (education.pa.gov).
- Part-time (~ 3 terms)
- Fall, Spring, and Summer Term Admission
Graduates of the School Nurse Certificate are prepared to apply nursing knowledge, skills, and abilities in the care of school age children in diverse elementary and secondary school settings.
- ≥ 3.0 cumulative GPA (current BSN students) or ≥ 3.0 GPA in BSN or higher nursing degree from accredited program (ACEN, NLN, ACICS, or CCNE)
- Current Criminal Record Clearance (ACT 34 and ACT 73)
- Current Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (ACT 33)
- Current American Heart Association - BLS Healthcare Provider Course Certification
- Complete online application
- International applicants: consult with the Office of International Services -www.ois.pitt.edu
Curriculum (PA Department of Education Requirements)
- PSYED 1001 - Educational Psychology + 3 cr.
- IL 1580 or IL 2500 - Foundations of Special Educ +* 3 cr.
- Math +6 cr.
- English Composition +3 cr.
- English Literature +3 cr.
- Care of Children with Disabilities +
- English as a Second Language +
- NUR 1077 School Nurse Seminar 3 cr. (offered Spring Term of 'even' years)
- NUR 1078 - School Nurse Practicum 3 cr. (offered Spring Term of 'even' years)
+ Courses taken at other institutions will be evaluated for equivalency to University of Pittsburgh courses and academic credit will be granted for comparable coursework.
View Program Brochure (PDF)