The online Certificate in Nursing Research is a non-degree certificate for nurses with a Bachelor's degree who are seeking a focus on research as well as current graduate students and nurses with a Masters or DNP degree. This certificate particularly targets nurses interested in advancing their knowledge and skills as clinical research coordinators and quality assurance managers. The curriculum builds upon the students’ existing research knowledge and skills and enhances their expertise to conduct and coordinate clinical research studies following federal regulations and Good Clinical Practice (GCP). Graduates broaden their marketability in a variety of clinical research settings.
Graduates of the Certificate in Nursing Research are eligible for National Certification as a Certified Clinical Research Coordinator by the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) after successful completion of the Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC) Certification Exam. (Note: clinical research coordinator experience is required for the exam).
Click here to determine if the School of Nursing is authorized to enroll online students from your state.
- Valid registered nurse license in state where clinical experiences are performed
- BSN (from an ACEN (NLN), ACICS, or CCNE accredited program in nursing), a bachelor’s or higher degree
- GPA ≥ 3.0 in the undergraduate degree
- Minimum of one year nursing experience recommended
- Official GRE scores (may be waived if GPA ≥ 3.5)
- Prerequisite statistics course
- Pre-admission interview
- Complete online application
- International applicants
- Part-time (~ 5 terms)
- Fall, Spring, Summer Term admission
Curriculum (subject to change)
- Elective (approval by Coordinator, Nursing Research Concentration 3 cr.
- Module CITI Biomedical Responsible Conduct of Research 0 cr.
- Module CITI Biomedical Human Subjects Research 0 cr.
- Module CITI Conflicts of Interest 0 cr.
- Module CITI Good Clinical Practice 0 cr.
- Module ISER HIPAA Researchers Privacy Requirements 0 cr.
- Module ISER Responsible Literature Searching 0 cr.
- NUR 2000 Research for Evidence-Based Practice 1 2 cr.
- NUR 2008 Ethics for Advanced Practice Nursing 0 cr.
- NUR 2011 Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 2800 Coordinating Clinical Trials 2 cr.
- NUR 3052 Manuscript Development 1 cr.
- NURSP 2075 Introduction to Health Informatics 3 cr.
- NURSP 2090 Healthcare Outcomes 3 cr.
- Total 17 cr.
Graduates of the Certificate in Nursing Research are prepared to accomplish the following:
- Conduct and coordinate clinical studies sponsored by the federal government, industry, and foundations for phase I, II, and III studies of drugs, devices, and biologics as well as behavioral interventions across the lifespan
- Pursue employment as quality assurance managers, clinical research coordinators or monitors in Schools of the Health Sciences, Pharmaceutical Companies, Clinical Research Organizations, Institutional Review Boards, Education and Compliance Offices, and other research settings
- Pursue a PhD as some courses may be applied toward the PhD curriculum
Click here for an asynchronous Information Session about the Certificate in Nursing Research online program.
View Program Brochure (PDF)