Psychiatric Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
Doctor of Nursing Practice
MSN to DNP | CNS Psychiatric Mental Health
The Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing concentration prepares nurses in advanced practice as expert clinicians in the care of patients with mental disorders. The CNS in adult psychiatric mental health leads multidisciplinary teams to ensure that patients receive the full range of mental health care services needed, initiates research projects to deliver and test innovative practices, provides consultation to health care providers related to psychiatric issues, and facilitates cost-effective, quality clinical outcomes. The CNS PMHN student prepared at the DNP level will develop knowledge, skills, and practice to become effective leaders in mental health care. The CNS-DNP program focuses on leadership, health policy, finance, and quality improvement. Capstone topics may include mental health projects, related to organization and systems innovations, and other clinical practice evaluations
Curriclum MSN to DNP
Fall Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2044/2244* Nursing Graduate Orientation Module 0 cr.
- NUR 2011/2211* Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice 3 cr.
- NUR 3012/3212* Public Policy in Health Care 2 cr.
- NUR 3013/3213* Ethics in Healthcare 1 cr.
Spring Term (Year 1)
- NUR 2680/2280* Introduction to Genetics and Molecular Therapeutics 3 cr.
- NUR 2007/2207* Research for Evidence-Based Practice 2 2 cr.
- NURSP 2091/2291* Finance and Economics for Health Care Leaders 3 cr.
Summer Term (Year 1)
Fall Term (Year 2)
- NURSP 2061/2261* Organizational and Management Theory 3 cr.
- NUR 3099/3299* The Science of Health Care Delivery 2 cr.
- Cognate 3 cr.
Spring Term (Year 2)
- NUR 3036/3236* Capstone Project 2 cr.
- NUR 3037/3237* Capstone Clinical 1 cr.
- NURCNS 3039/3239* DNP CNS Role Practicum 1-5 cr.
- NUR 3052/3252* Manuscript Development 1 cr.
Summer Term (Year 2)
* Online courses versions for students enrolled in the online program