The University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing provides live / webinar activities. Please review activities described here and those listed on the “Pitt Nursing CE Calendar” located at the left side of the screen.
This year marks the fourth year for this popular series that focuses on pharmacology updates with corresponding clinical practice implications. The goal of this series is to provide evidence based information related to pharmacology advances, with parallel clinical practice concepts.
These continuing education sessions will be conducted live at the School of Nursing, Oakland Campus and will be available via Web conferencing with pre-registration from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Contact hours awarded at these sessions may be used by advanced practice nurses seeking to renew their script writing privileges.
- Contact Hours Awarded: 3 per session
- Cost: $60 per session
The University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing’s department of continuing nursing education (Pitt Nursing CE) offers the Fast Track Back (FTB) program annually in the spring. The goal of FTB is to provide professional nurses who have not been actively practicing, with current trends and skills needed to care for adult medical / surgical patients in an acute care setting. FTB is not a reinstatement program.
FTB consists of two (2) separate sections.
- Section I will reacquaint participants to the following areas: the role of the RN practicing today, physical assessment, systems review, pharmacology update, clinical decision making, and communication skills. This will be accomplished through: lecture, group discussion, independent study, participation in exercises in the clinical skills lab and human simulation center, and skill development using the clinical practice films. Section I consists of six (6) sessions. Sessions will meet weekly. Each session will meet from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Participants must attend all classes in order to satisfactorily complete Section I and to be eligible to participate in Section II.
- Contact Hours Awarded: 33
- Section I Cost: $1,000 - this includes all course materials
- Section II will consist of 6 clinical days (7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) and have participants caring for adult medical /surgical patients in an acute care hospital setting with the supervision of a School of Nursing instructor. The clinical days will be scheduled after Section I concludes. Participants are required to attend all clinical days.
- Contact Hours Awarded: 45
- Section II Cost: $1,500 – this includes liability insurance
Session I will be April 1,8,15,22,29 and May 6th
Session II weeks of May 11th and 18th.
Registration to open January 26th to March 9th.. Participants will be notified by March 20th of their acceptance into the program. Consideration is given to those by date of registration.
If you are interested in receiving a notice when the FTB application process is open please sign up on our mailing list.
The following are recommendations for successful applicants
For both sections:
- Must have a current PA nurse’s license.
- Have had previous experience caring for adult medical / surgical patients in an acute care setting.
- Have not been out of clinical practice for more than fifteen (15) years.
- Must be available to attend all sessions.
Prior to starting section II
- Have current Basic Life Support / CPR certification.
- Secure all necessary medical updates, criminal clearances, and identification requirement of the clinical facility.